Friday, October 5, 2007

The Problem with Thrifting

Okay, I guess I should say, The Problems with Thrifting, because I know there are more than one. After feeding school kids for the last three days, it felt good to get out and do a little thrifting today. I looked for some garage sales, but didn't find any so off to the thrift stores I go.



First stop, Goodwill where I found two pairs of earrings, a cute (not old) pink hobnail glass candle holder, silver filigree dish. little cottage looking shelf, and cute goldish bird salt & pepper shakers. Next stop, Value Village where I got two pairs of light blue ruffley curtain panels, shabby rose plate hanger, several packages of vintage seam binding and ribbon, white chippy basket, and a chippy green wicker urn. And finally at the Salvation Army I got a porcelain posy, vintage perfume spray bottle and a cute white beaded purse with chain handle.

So, back to the problems with thrifting. One, it is highly addictive. And two, retail shopping will never be the same for you again. For example, on my way home I decided to stop at TJ Maxx to see if there was anything I couldn't live without. Everything I saw there was too expensive, (compared to thrift store prices, that is), but I did manage to find a cute pink throw rug in the clearance section for $8.00 so it wasn't a totally wasted trip.

Going to the mall is agony for me. Of course, it doesn't help that I have a teenage daughter who only wants name brand clothes like Abercrombie, or Hollister. Going into those stores is a nightmare and I will only buy something if it is on clearance or a super good deal. My poor daughter will have to be happy with "sale items," but at 13 1/2 she is getting a good lesson on stretching your dollars and knows she can get more if she shops the sales racks.


Here is a close up of the beaded purse and earrings. Not sure of age of purse. Probably not too old, just thought it was cute. I could have got a lot more stuff at the Salvation Army, but this is a "boutique" store where they send all the vintage and antique items and charge quite a bit more for them.










Remember the tags I dyed a few posts back? Well, I did a mini project and used a couple to display the earrings I got today. What do you think? I used some of the vintage wallpaper and velvet ribbon from my stash. I think they turned out pretty cute. Don't you love the little filigree dish too? It has a cute little handle and feet on the bottom. I think I might just have to keep this one.

Looking forward to the weekend. Soccer and housecleaning on Saturday. Polk County flea market on Sunday. Hope you all have a great weekend and do something fun!

8 comments:

Auntie Joy said...

Nice treasures Lisa.. I love the tags you are doing great!! Nice pictures! I am on the Co's in the list check regularly for an update...
JOY

Sandi McBride said...

I can't decide if I like the tag better than the earrings...what a lovely job, Lisa...where did you get the dolls house knickknack shelf? I LOVE it...of course, miniatures are my thing. But you're right , its addictive!

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

Fun stuff! Love the green wicker piece and your tags are so so cute! Great job! xo, Becky

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about thrifting. We call them op shops here in Australia, short for opportunity shops and they are truly addictive.

I just discovered your blog today and I really like it.

Anonymous said...

I meant to add, I like roses too!

colleen said...

Brilliant use of the tags! I love them!!

Vintage Blue Studio said...

I love when I find a blogger who loves thrifting too! I mostly search for glass and jewelry but I love seeing what other people are interested in! By the way, the earring tags are wonderful!

Diana

Queen of Tarte said...

Lisa...where is this vintage Salvation Army??? I will have to visit!! Great job on your finds and I may have a rose oil that has your name on it!!!