Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Am I a Lunatic or What?

I was so happy to sell a few items yesterday, that I just had to go celebrate by visiting a few thrift stores. It was a beautiful sunny day (as is today) here in Oregon. First stop was to Goodwill where I found these cute vintage prints.

I also got some cookie cutters, a bag of old thread on wooden spools and four satin hangers. I am packaging up the cookie cutters in cute bags to sell at Monticello around the holidays. The thread and hangers I will keep. Haven't yet decided about the cute girl prints yet though. They do have lovely pink roses on them after all.




Next stop was Value Village where at first I didn't find much. I really am trying to be selective and I picked up a few things, but put them back. I eventually found a nice piece of floral fabric and then, while walking out, spied this cute little childrens table.


Love the chippy blue paint. For someone who is not a "blue" person, I sure seem to buy a lot of it. My bedroom, if you remember from past blog posts, was painted periwinkle blue when we moved in and I swore that it was the first room I was going to paint. Well, six years later and it is still the same. It actually works perfectly with my other colors.

Anyway, I'm standing in line at VV. They are very busy for some reason. Out of the corner of my eye, I spy a display of Halloween stuff on top of a desk/vanity painted a very soft light blue. The desk was draped with an ugly cloth so I could only see one side of it, but I could tell it was cute with carved legs and little casters on the bottom. I didn't want to draw attention to it, or lose my place in line, but I set my little blue table down and peaked under the cover quickly. It looked very cool, but I really didn't get to see it very well or the top at all. Back in line I ask the cashier, when it was my turn of course, if the desk is for sale. She says no, it is being used for a display right now, but eventually it will be put on the floor. I graciously tell her that I could pay for it now and pick it up after Halloween. She says I should talk to Phil about it and see what he has to say. Well, Phil is cashiering a ways down, so I pay for my two items and go wait in his line as I thought I would have a better chance if I wait in line as opposed to just barging up front to ask him. When it is finally my turn, I explain to him that I was sent to talk to him about the desk being used as a display, can I please buy it, I'll pick it up later. He goes to talk to someone else while I wait. Remember, they are very busy and it would have been easy for him to say, sorry, display only right now. But he comes back, after looking at the desk and tells me we can do it. I ask the price, (I know maybe I should have asked that sooner) and he tells me. Not really cheap by any means, but I just so happen to have a 20% off coupon, can I use it. Sure! So, I now own this desk/vanity which I haven't completely seen, but that I get to pick up next week. Hence the title of this post. Stay tuned for a picture of my prize.


I had little time left so I stopped by the Salvation Army Boutique store. All I found there was a cute white linen skirt with ruffles and lace. Wow, that sounds awful, but trust me. It's cute and the fact that it was my size means that I was meant to have it. I was happy to pay the $5.50 for it.
I was checking out Karla's blog the other day and spotted this blog. Beachy has a blogger craft challenge which is set to happen November 1st. I forgot the day and already did mine which I will post here 11/1. It turned out pretty cute, I think. If you feel so inclined, check it out. It was really fun. Now, I am really getting addicted to the whole collage thing and I love to be able to finally use some of the cool supplies I have been collecting. I am not a scrapbooker. Wish I was, but I just can't start another new hobby and I always felt that scrapbooking was such a huge time committment. A little overwhelming for me as I have piles and piles of photos in boxes and now on the computer as well. Making little collages is a nice, simple and quick thing to do. I am all about immediate gratification these days. ha ha That is one reason why I no longer make quilts. Loved doing them, they just took too long and I get bored easily. Well, off to visit my Grandma this morning. Have a beautiful day!

9 comments:

Sandi McBride said...

Lisa, I only have this to say...you'fe dangerous when let out on your own...you really need to take a conscience with you to help you watch that pocket book, lol...I knew when I saw the roses on the hats on the print that they'd be staying, lol
One more thing, if you could, a "Thy Will be done for Joey Andrus" as it appears that our Joey is in the palm of His hand and things are not going well. Thanks,
Sandi

a Pocket Angel said...

Hello! You are a winner in my banner give-a-way. Please email me to let me know if you want a regular or holiday banner. If you have an idea of what you would like me to design for you let me know and I'll see what I can do.
~Mary~ IsabellasCloset@aol.com

Wanda @ Just Vintage said...

Smart girl! You sound like me. I'll patiently wait my turn. Well, not really patient on the inside, but outwardly nobody would know the turmoil inside. Can't wait to see the piece!

Wanda @ Just Vintage said...

Well, foot. I hit "leave comment" too quick! I've passed along the Spirit of Christmas award to you. Stop by my blog and get the code for it.

Betty said...

I can't see your desk/vanity. You sound like my kind of shopper. LOL

Michelle said...

What a walk down memory lane! I had those prints when I was little. They are so sweet.

Auntie Joy said...

Hi Lisa,
I know what you mean about scrap booking but I too love all the material that they use. I also like to make things to sell, don't know who would want a scrapbook of "Rocky" the red power ranger!
JOY!

Natasha Burns said...

Lisa I'm looking forward to seeing this table, I am intrigued!!!!!

Sweet Remembrance said...

Lisa...you crack me up!
I would have done the same thing...
Priscilla