Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Another Surprise

First time doing two posts in one day. What's up with that you say? Well, I just had to share this project with you.

Yesterday when I was cleaning up the front room I found this old mirror in a box of frames I bought last spring at an auction. Now tell me, who would do something like this?

I could tell when I got this that this was a pretty old mirror and I knew that if I could get that horrible paint off, it might look pretty cool, but I had no idea what was under that ugly makeover someone gave it.

I got all my paint stripping supplies out and went to town on the thing.


Before





During













Getting better!
After!
Wow, what a difference! So cute! See the carved detail on the top and the feet. I didn't even know that would be there.
Top of mirror
Close up of feet
I loved this project! It was kind of hard to know when to stop. I left some of the black paint on and it just wasn't coming off of the sides of the legs and the sides of the top pieces, but I don't mind. I was planning on selling this on ebay, but now I don't know. I may have to keep it.
About half way through the stripping process I noticed a tag on the back that I never saw before that said "Patent Applied For June 9, 1883." After I saw that I realized that by stripping this myself I probably ruined the value of this mirror. At least that's what they would probably tell me on antiques roadshow. ha ha
I personally own very few items that would qualify as genuine "antiques." Most of my stuff would definitely be in the "vintage" category. I might just have to hang on to this one, at least for now.

11 comments:

Back Through Time said...

OMG that mirror is wonderful! You did a super job!!
Michelle

Sweet Remembrance said...

OMG...what a spectacular find!
Who knew? Don't you love lifes little surprises, Enjoy!
Priscilla

Wanda @ Just Vintage said...

I thought the mirror was pretty cute in the first picture, then I saw the Eastlake(?) detailing. Wow! I've never seen a mirror like that. It's great! Love it!

Aleta said...

LOVE that mirror....especially with a little leftover black paint. It would look superb with my Halloween decorations!! Are ya keepin' it for sure? I'm going to Monticello on Friday!! (wink, wink)

Warmest bear hugs, Aleta

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

See...just goes to show that you cannot judge a book by its cover..that is two things this week that have little surprises underneath. Great job!

It looks to be Victorian. I say keep it. It is a true treasure!!!

xo,

Becky

cherry said...

Awesome mirror! I like it with the leftover black paint very cool. I also love all your finds. I had forgot all about Coburgs antique fair...will have to remember that for next year. Your little bookshelf is a doll. cherry

Auntie Joy said...

Hi Lisa
I did get a look at your blog earlier. All is quiet hear for a change. I love your mirror. Who would have thunk???
Let's do tea?
JOY

Lori said...

That was a great job! Glad you had the vision cause it wasn't to pretty before was it? Don't ya love you found that date too/ Later, Lori

Lallee said...

Wow! If that wasn't a diamond in the rough and don't know what would qualify. It's wonderful! I don't think I would be able to let that one get away.....you better keep it.

Seeb said...

Great job,it's completely something else.

BumbleVee said...

well, to me the "before" was pretty ugly..... how could anybody do that to such a beautiful piece? It looks great now that you have cleaned it up....a keeper for sure.