Saturday, April 12, 2008

Lunch, Thrifting, Crafting, A Sneaky Peak, and Some Projects

On Thursday I went out for lunch with my sweet guy. On the way to meet him I saw an Estate Sale sign, but I was running late so I didn't stop. We had a yummy lunch at a place called Noodles & Company. It was actually a special day for us. It was our 21st anniversary from the day of our first date. Last year we celebrated by spending the day going to thrift stores and pawn shops. Romantic, right?

Anyway, on my way home, I decided to see what was still at this estate sale. It was a privately run sale (the best kind in my opinion) so the prices were pretty good. I found some really neat things in the garage (the best place to find the good junk) and a few things in the house. Only wish I'd stopped before. Who knows what I missed? Here are some pictures of what I picked up at the sale, plus a few things I found at the goodwill.


I was so excited to find the green metal rack. I think I will paint it cream though and use it to display small linens. The shopping cart was also found in the garage and has very cool aqua on the wheels. I know it is hard to see everything in this picture, but if you click on it, you can get a better view. I also found a crusty old first aid kit, neat little metal cabinet with drawers, (not as cute as this one, but it will do) some linens, ticking pillow and some old wire pieces. I have no idea what I'll do with those, but they were begging me to take them home. The plastic hamper with the scallopy lid and the shelf with hooks I found at the Goodwill. I have already cleaned up the hamper and added a sweet floral decal to the side. Good as new!


So much for my decision to hold off on thrifting and save my money for my trip. ha ha I'm definitely a lost cause.



Linens I found found at the estate sale.

On Friday I went over to Joy's to work on a few projects. Isabel came too. Didn't get a lot done, but we had some yummy chicken salad and I managed to complete my swap box. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Sneaky peak coming up.

On my way to Joy's I stopped at a tiny flea market and two thrift stores. I didn't buy a lot, just a few cute things like a vintage dust pan that I want to makeover with paint, padded hangers, a cubby box (will be painted and embellished in some way), hankies, hankie holder, the cutest pink apron, another big pickle jar, some cute cabinet knobs and I'm sure I'm forgetting something. This is what happens when I don't immediately take a picture of my finds when I get home.

While I was at Joy's I also managed to cut out another shopping cart liner. Believe it or not, this one is actually for me. I saved some cute fabric that I absolutely love and a really unique shopping cart that I bought at an antique show a couple years ago. Maybe if I get it finished, I can take it with me on my trip south next week. I'll definitely show you a picture when I'm done.
Now for the sneaky peak! Here it is. Are you ready?

I know, it's not much. But I don't want to ruin the surprise for Heather. Of course I forgot to take pictures of what's inside. I was just so excited about getting it done that I forgot. Oops!










Since I didn't show much of the swap package, I'll share with you a couple projects I worked on this week.

Remember this brown cabinet I got recently?
I gave it a little makeover with some paint and wallpaper in the drawers. I think it turned out pretty cute. I left the original pulls on. Underneath is a box I bought from Joy at her Christmas sale that I finally got around to completing. I painted it green and distressed it, then added the wallpaper to the front and inside the drawer and just put back the original glass knob on it. I love how this one turned out and I'm not sure I will be able to sell it. It would be so cute holding stuff in my sewing room or a good place to store old love letters and other mementos. We'll just have to wait and see.

I'm really starting to get excited about Farm Chicks coming up in a couple months and I'm starting to feel a little pressure to get busy fixing/making stuff. Once I get back from my trip next week, I will really have to get serious. I have lots of ideas and projects swirling around in my head.
Well, gotta go wake up my soccer player for her game today. Hope you all have a fun weekend!

20 comments:

Pat said...

Lisa, You amaze me. Can't wait to see what else you come up with.....and thanks for telling us about Maison Douce......you two must be the 'dynamic duo' of your area! I love anything with drawers in it...your recent purchases must mean you do too! Pat at birdnestontheground

Rose Garden Romantic said...

Oh, wonderful finds!!! Also, I love the rose print in your last post and the gorgeous fabric you won in Aleta's giveaway!!
Michelle

Lisa's RetroStyle said...

Great finds!!! I'm so jealous of the cart...I have a hard time finding them and they go like hotcakes!

Anonymous said...

Great linens--and you'll never miss that little bit of money on your trip!

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

What goodies you found. Wishes for a wonderful weekend...Mary

Sandi McBride said...

You know Lisa, Mac notices when I come in to visit you,I'm always ready to go hunt a yard sale when I've been here...if he could figure out just who you are on my favorites side, he'd delete you, lol! Great finds!
hugs
Sandi

blessings said...

You know how I love your shopping carts! Hiya - I haven't been by for a bit but I woke up today thinking about you. Miss all yoru lovely things over here! Hope you're having a wonderful weekend. Blessings.. Polly

Back Through Time said...

Just stopping by to say a quick hi! You found some really fun stuff lately. Have a great Sunday!
Michelle

Carolyn said...

I was just surfin' the blogs and stopped by for a visit.

Great Blog!

Carolyn

Anonymous said...

wow! LOVE all of your fabulous finds =) and noodles is one of my FAV restaurants - yum!!! debbie

Donna Lynn said...

What fun, shopping with friends, super duper finds too! It was fun visiting your blog!
Donna Lynn

Lori @ Katies Rose Cottage Designs said...

Ohhh I just found your blog and I love it !! You have such beautiful treasures and I love your bears !
I am going to add you to my favorite blogs so I can come back often ~
xoxo,
Lori

Adrienne said...

You find the greatest things! I love the old linens. I nearly stopped at an almost-closed estate sale on Saturday. Now I wish I had! ~Adrienne~

Sugarplum Cottage said...

What wonderful treasures! I too went to an estate sale and purchased a lot of flower frog, linens and costume jewelrey, Saturday. I've never ran up on a wire shopping cart. Loooove it.
RoseMarie

Linda said...

Love the linens! I think it's neat to celebrate the anniversary of your first date....lunch is good but thrifting and pawns shops are fun too:). Linda

Miss Gracie's House said...

Great finds as usual! That cart with the aqua wheels will be fun to do! I've been thinking about you getting ready for Farm chicks and wondering just *how* do you do that?!
sounds like a great time with your hubby!
Rene'

Anonymous said...

Love that little chest with the drawers! Have fun on your trip, I'm soooo jealous! By the way, cleaned up those pink dental cabinets - they are so awesome, I'm using one for jewelry (great tip from Joy), I may sell the other one, maybe....
Diane

Mandi said...

Fab photos....you know what I would do with the wire trolly? I would love it as a holder for my long rolls of fabric...they would look cool all standing uprigh in that perfect container...will be keeping a look out in the future...take care...

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa,

You got some great bargains. Happy thrifting!

I share your love of roses and enjoyed my visit to your blog.

Marie x

Journal Swag said...

Great finds, Lisa! Awesome makeovers too. Hope your trip is great!

Sheila