Friday, February 13, 2009

Vintage Valentines, My Valentines, & Some Heart Cookies

It's no secret that I love roses. You all know that. What you may not know is that before I fell in love with roses, I was in love with hearts. I even painted a heart stencil chair rail in the living room of my last two houses. Very early 90's country. Somewhere along the way I replaced hearts with roses as my favorite thing. Don't get me wrong. I still love hearts, but my decorating style sort of evolved and took on a new life with roses being the main attraction.

A couple years ago I came across some vintage valentines in a booth at Monticello and it was love at first sight. I had to have them. Since then I have collected many lovely vintage valentines and for most of the year they just sit in a box on a shelf in my craft room. I have decided that I either need to sell them or get them out and display them. Even if it is only for a short while. Here is a little vignette with some of my favorites. Better late than never, I always say.
Trust me, this is so much cuter in person. The lighting is bad today. Okay, I guess I really should blame it on my poor photography skills, but believe me, it's pretty darn cute. This sweet display is on a little antique dresser in a niche in my front hallway/entry. I got the idea to stand the valentines in old flower frogs from Joy. Thanks Joy!

Here are some of my other favorites valentines shown in a mosaic. You can click on them to enlarge.

Can you see a common theme? I tend to gravitate towards vintage valentines with lacey details, and of course, roses.




To me, Valentine's Day is about celebrating love and family. What a great holiday! Definitely one of my favorites. Speaking of favorites, this is one of my most favorite pictures of two of my dearest valentines.
My kids. I think they are about one and three in the picture. I just love the sweet little expressions on their faces. I sure miss them being that little. Now they are 13 and 15 and I don't even try to get them to pose together anymore. One of my goals for 2009 is to get some professional pictures taken of them. My Mom has been nagging me about it for years and I really think it's time considering that it has been about 10 years since we have had any taken. I'll let you know how that goes.

As far as gift giving for Valentine's Day goes, we don't normally do much. This year I'm just keeping it simple by giving my not so little sweeties some chocolates and itunes cards. But, since I was feeling guilty about not making any Valentine's this year, I decided to decorate a couple of little bags to put their goodies in. Here are the results of my efforts.
I was looking all over Target for some cute containers to put their gifts in and came up with these simple brown bags which I immediately brought home and foofed them up with some vintage valentine's images, rick rack, glitter, crepe paper, ribbon and buttons. I know I'm not going to win any awards with these guys, but not a bad effort for a last minute throw together sort of a thing. I even made a couple cute tags. Here are the close ups.

My daughter had been pestering me for a couple weeks to make some soft sugar cookies so I got out my Mom's Club cookbook and whipped together these cuties.


They are pretty yummy and are great to make for any holiday. I like them because they aren't too sweet.


Soft cut out cookies

3 c. flour
1 T. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
3/4 c. butter or margarine, softened
2 eggs
2 t. vanilla or 1 1/2 t. almond extract
Ready to spread frosting
Preheat oven to 350. Combine flour, baking powder, salt. Set aside. In large bowl beat milk, butter, eggs and vanilla until well blended. Add dry ingredients and mix well. On a floured surface lightly knead dough to form a smooth ball. Divide into thirds. On a well floured surface, roll out each ball and cut with cookie cutters of your choice. Place cookies 1" apart on greased cookie sheets. Bake 7-9 minutes until lightly browned around edges. Cool thoroughly and frost and decorate.
Enjoy!
Have a fabulous Valentine's day tomorrow! I'll be back with more vintage finds on my next post.

10 comments:

Florence said...

I loved your valentines. Your last minute bags are great. The soft heart sugar cookies I am sure are delicious. I think roses and hearts go hand in hand. I love them both too. Florence

Coleen said...

your brown bags are so darling..i love the way you do-dadded them up! The pics of you kids is darling,too.
My "baby" is 18 now...he gave me the greatest gift last night when he told me that he is glad I am his mom....it seems after witnessing another mother "in action" it made him appreciate me!!!

Timi said...

I think it all looks FABULOUS! You always do a fantastic job

I did nothing! My Valentines Day gift to The Hubs is I'm going to leave the house for a few hours today, let him sit in peace, and not nag him.
Maybe since I'm up so early this morning I'll bake a little something to have with coffee this morning.
Happy Valentines Day!

The Vintage Vagablonde said...

I loved hearts too...maybe a 90's thing??? Now I am in love with roses as well. Had a itty bitty tattoo of a heart made into a rose 2 years ago....Still love hearts though.

I love vintage and I would and have decorated bags for my kids too. This year I made hand~made valentines using vintage valentine images.

Love your blog..I have a space at an antique store too :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Valentine's Day Lisa! Hope you had a wonderful day. Love the sugar cookies...those are my favorite. My sis in law makes them at Christmas for me and COVERS them in red hots! Hope to see you soon.

Michele said...

Your little bags for the kids are too cute! I miss my kids being little too...it was so much fun surprising them with Valentine goodies!

Hugz,
Michele

Stephenie said...

I love your Valentine's, they are really pretty. I also have a love for roses, they are my favorite. I was having a craving for sugar cookies, I'll have to try your recipe.
Stephenie

Monica said...

Your Valentines bags were so cute! Love the way you decorated them... even the simplest of things seems gorgeous in a well finished box!
Take care,
Monica.

The Vintage Barn said...

Such a SWEET site. Your photos are so inspiring!
Rolane
The Vintage Barn
www.barnbarnbaby.com

Anonymous said...

You are a gal after my own heart. I, too, love ANYTHING with roses--it seems like I can never have enough roses around!! Love your post about valentine's! I will be back!

My babes are now gone--they grow way to fast!

I hope you can stop by for a chat--I LOVE company and am soooo new to blogging!