Sunday, February 1, 2009

Under the Weather

I've been feeling a little crummy these past few days. Nothing serious, just your basic cold stuff. Stuffy head, drippy nose, you know what I mean. Can't figure out where I got it, but it has definitely slowed me down a bit.

So, I've been just hanging out watching movies, going through magazines and weeding out the older ones. I did manage to do a little thrifting this week with my friend Mitzi. She actually found a neat rug for me on craigslist and I made arrangements to go pick it up. I invited Mitzi to come along and we left early enough to hit a few thrift stores. At the goodwill outlet I found the cutest dresser and a few smaller things.

When we got to the place where the rug was, I was so glad Mitzi was along as it would have been really difficult to manage that 9 foot by 12 foot rugby myself. It was pretty dirty, but in great shape and for $25.00, not a bad price at all.

I came home, laid it out on my drivewaay and cut it up a bit. Now I have a 9 x 10 rug for my booth when I do shows and a 2 x 9 rug for my space at Monticello.

I don't know if it's just me, but have you noticed that it has been much slimmer pickins at the thrift stores lately? It seems like the shelves are a lot emptier and the quality of items available is not as good. January has been a pretty busy month at Monticello and I sold a lot of smalls. My booth is actually looking kind of empty (to me anyway) so I really need to stock up on the smalls and that's what I'm having a harder time finding.

So, I have a question. What kinds of things are you looking for when you are out vintage shopping?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad I am not the only one to notice the slim pickens. We only have two stores in our area and they are so crowded and not much left to choose from. I am going to have to drive further to shop! Hope you are feeling beeter soon. That bug just hangs on. I have had it too. Have a great week!
Lorri

Christa from Chloe Rose said...

I look at a lot of smalls.....I love old paper and old jars and bottles. I also love vintage fabric.....the pretty stuff is hard to find!

With this economy, I suspect there are more people thrifting for profit - buying and then selling to make ends meet, as well as, those who can't afford all the new stuff anymore.

Christa ;o)
Chloe Rose

lorhen82 said...

I usually don't have anything specific in mind...just whatever catches my eye. I think that since I've been reading other people's blogs, my eye might gravitate toward different things than it used to. I've always looked for old photos, bottles, skeleton keys, etc., but now I would try to find other kinds of old papers as well. ~Lori

Kindred Roses said...

I look for things that I cant find at TJ Max or Home Goods like vintage photos, down pillows made with vintage fabric that are really good quality, old medicine bottles, ticking, old frames, and anything rosey.
Julie

Alison Gibbs said...

Hope yoare soon feeling better
Alison

Janelle said...

Yes, definitely slim pickings. I went over to the thrift store in a neighboring town and the bookshelves were almost empty--usually they're bulging with books!

Things I look for while thrifting: books, paperback or hardback in nice shape; old/vintage cups, plates, saucers, dishes; clothes (but pretty halfheartedly as it's very hard to find anything nice in plus-size); back issues of magazines I'm too cheap to buy at the newsstand; nice picture frames; anything vintage, which is pretty hard to come by at our local thrift stores.

Hope you get to feeling better soon!

Lisa said...

I hope you feel better soon. I generally don't have a particular item in mind, but always seem to look for small size pitchers, creamers, silver pieces, kitchen gadgets, books, mirrors, bottles, buttons. Have a good week!

Anonymous said...

Just sending you feel better soon wishes! (and the pickings are slim - I so want a GOOD estate sale!)

ShabbyInTheCity said...

I'm looking to see if I recognize any bloggers out there..."LOOK!!! It's Lisa and Isabel!!!"