Friday, February 27, 2009

An Awesome Score and a Quick Fix

The week before my trip to California I was perusing craigslist and found an interesting ad for some antique furniture. From what I could see of the picture, it looked pretty cool (a antique vanity with mirror, chair that had been stripped, vanity bench and end table also stripped, but not shown in picture) and the price was right, so I sent an email saying I would be happy to take her projects off her hands and could come pick them up that day. I waited all morning to hear back from them. I was convince that the items were already gone as it had been posted the day before. Eventually I got an email and I hopped in my car and headed over. I was thrilled when I showed up and quickly loaded everything in my car before they could change their mind. When I got home I set everything up for a group picture.

Vanity with great chippy paint, vanity bench (stripped), Chair and end table (also stripped)

Mirror to vanity

I'm not going to even tell you what I paid for all this fabulousness because you would surely hate me. Of course everything is going to need some tlc, but I am looking forward to prettying up everything and it will all travel to Spokane with me to the Farm Chicks show in June. It's not like I didn't have enough projects to work on, but this deal was just too good to pass up. Not sure if you can see it in the picture, but the center of the vanity is in pretty sorry shape. I am seriously thinking of taking the vanity apart to make it into two bed side tables. Let me know what you think.

About a month ago my sweet hubby accidentally broke the doors to the pantry in the hall off of the kitchen. He said he couldn't fix them and for several weeks we lived with the broken doors just hanging there looking awful. I finally decided that those horrid doors must come off and I remembered these cool curtains I had bought from Martha last summer and hadn't done anything with. So, I stole a curtain rod I had been using in my bathroom on the shower and came up with this

I'm loving the way it looks (much cuter in person). Especially as I didn't want to look at the contents of my pantry every time I walked into the room. The curtains are a neat gauzy sheer with a few little age holes which don't bother me in the least. My husband is less than thrilled with them. My response? "I guess you shouldn't have broken the doors then." I don't know if this will be a permanent fix, but I'm definitely happy with the result for now. Maybe it will grow on my main squeeze.

Don't forget to leave a comment on my last post to be entered in my giveaway. Have a great weekend!

13 comments:

Lori said...

lucky you!!! looks like you found some real treasures...i think those curtains look cute on your pantry...much better than gazing at cans and boxes!! great idea:)

Sheila said...

Hello What a find.. That vanity and all those pieces match dont they? That is so neat.. if the vanity top does not have a big gapping hloe in it can you put a venner over it? If not the two night stands are a good second...Can't wait until you show us the end results.. And the curtains do look fab.. most men don't like that kind of thing but it may get him busy fixing the door.. lol... Sheila

Florence said...

I love what you did with the curtain, it looks cozy. It is always interesting how we find ways to cover up something that is not right and come up with a cool idea. the furniture what a find, those are the best.

Kimberly said...

I am drooling over your Craig's List finds! What fun you will have, revamping those pieces! Hanging the curtain across the pantryway is a great idea! In fact, I purposefully removed my sliding closet doors and replaced them with curtains...a tip I borrowed from an HGTV episode. They said that you lose so much space and access with sliding doors and curtains can be much more aesthetically appealing. Works for me :-)
Blessings~
Kimberly

English Cottage in Georgia said...

Gotta love Craigslist :-). You picked up some great pieces. I LOVE the mirror and would absolutely not put it back on the vanity. Hanging alone (on top of the brick on my fireplace) would really show off the scrolls. I would make two bedside tables. They are a great size for small bedrooms.
Too funny about the pantry covering. I love your solution and better yet your comment to your dear hubby, has me laughing.

Janelle said...

Oh my gosh, that furniture! So wonderful!

I wonder if you could cut a piece of wood to cover or replace the center of the vanity. The lines are so lovely, it seems a shame to cut it up...

Anonymous said...

You certainly have the luck on Craiglist! Love the vanity...I like it as one piece - Could you make a wooden piece to cover the center? Or a mirrored top? It has great lines.
Curtains were a smart idea!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Stephenie said...

Wow, you hit the jackpot. What wonderful treasures to add to your home. I also love the curtain covering the pantry.
Stephenie

Rebecca said...

Wow! What a find! I think the vanity would be wonderful taken apart and made into two bedside tables! Your gauzy curtains are so light and airy...just in time for spring! I love them.

Back Porch Blessings,
Rebecca

Little Cottage said...

Oh, me o' my!!! I LOVE those furniture pieces & my first thought was: "Yay, she will bring them to Monticello"! And the air went quickly out of the balloon, when I continue reading.... (hint, hint)
The curtains look great for the cover up! Would my pink french doors help you out?????? Just asking :o)
Sylvi

Vintage Linen Treasures said...

Wow! What a great find you made. And what a great idea to turn the vanity into two side tables. I would have NEVER even thought of that.

The curtains on your pantry are a great fix. Very, very clever.
Patricia :o)

Draffin Bears said...

I love the antique furniture you have bought ~ what a lucky find and it is all going to be beautiful once it is restored.

Hugs
Carolyn