Monday, February 8, 2010

Last Week’s Thrifty Finds

I had the good luck to get out a few times last week for some thrifting fun. Hit my usual GW, VV, SA and also a couple other places I only go to once in awhile.

At the Salvation Army I scored on a couple bags of vintage buttons.  My supply was getting low,  and since I have sold lots of buttons recently, I was really happy to find these.  Lots of great colors too. Here’s just a sampling of what was in those bags.

DSCF0600

DSCF0601

DSCF0605

DSCF0603  DSCF0599

DSCF0598

I also got this cute wood plate/magazine rack.  It is currently for sale at Stars & Splendid.

DSCF0593

On Friday I hit a little flea market that our town holds periodically and a nearby estate sale and found these cool things.

DSCF0607

I love the big mirror! Wasn’t sure if I was going to keep or sell.  The vintage picture frames are always good sellers for me and the etched decanter and roses salt and pepper were too cute to pass up.

DSCF0610

A bag of vintage lace,, vintage runner with lace edge, penny doll, heart garlands, doilies and several vintage postcards.

DSCF0611

Several vintage hangers.  The two crochet hangers in front came from my good friend Mitzi.

DSCF0606

Extra long vintage crinoline/petticoat.

But my best find of the week has to be a very cool, very vintage dress form.  I was chatting with the sweetest gals at the flea market and was telling them about the stuff I make, sell, etc.  We talked about Farm Chicks and they asked me if I sell vintage clothing.  I told them that I do, but mostly things like slips, crinolines, etc.  Then one of these sweet ladies said the magic words, “you wouldn’t happen to need a dress form would you?”  My eyes got really big and I got a huge smile on my face, because, yes, I had been looking for a dress form for my daughter’s room, but just couldn’t find a good inexpensive one.  Well, she told me about the one she had and it sounded perfect. So, on Saturday I went and picked it up and just fell in love with it. (Sheila, if you are reading this, thank you so much!)

Guess what?  My daughter isn’t getting it. I decided to give her Manni from my bedroom and I would use the new one instead.  She didn’t care, she just wanted one to dress up in her jewelry and crinolines. 

And this is what my new (old) dress form looks like.

 DSCF0631

I think she is happy to have a new home and to wear a pretty outfit.  Now I just need to come up with a name. 

Well, I decided to keep that cool mirror after all.  Here’s where it ended up.

DSCF0623

I spent a little time last weekend redoing some display’s in my living room.  I should have been cleaning, but re-decorating is so much more fun, don’t you think?

Have a great Monday!

30 comments:

Grace said...

Wow what great finds! Everything looks so beautiful. Grace

Crystal said...

You have an absolute treasure trove, with these finds. I have been looking for a manni too. I did see one last week, but it was $58 dollars, is that too high???
I just love how yours turned out :)
Thanks for sharing all of your wonderful treasures.
Have a blessed day

Andy's Attic said...

You really found some cool stuff!!
I must check out the thrift stores in Portland more often! Love the mirror display. Very nice.
Annette

Sheila said...

WOW On those buttons.. I too love old buttons.. Somany great things you found.. Makes me want to go thrifting, but we are getting swamped again with SNOW.. Yep another 6 to 8 inches.. then more on thursday too. Oh my... Thanks for sharing

Wanda @ Just Vintage said...

Oh, boy! You did get some cool things! I'm envious. But it sure feels good to find stuff like that in the dead of winter, doesn't it? It's always so spotty this time of year.

Anonymous said...

I really need a dress form - such a neat display you've made with yours!

Dandelion and Daisy said...

Love the arrangement of mirrors on the mantle. I've been trying to put together something similar for the wall but I love the stacked look.

Timi said...

You find the best stuff!!!! We need to go junkin one day.

Love all your finds. I got my eye on a couple things you picked up. I might have to see if I can't snag them from you early. :-)
Have a great week
Timi

Timi said...

You find the best stuff!!!! We need to go junkin one day.

Love all your finds. I got my eye on a couple things you picked up. I might have to see if I can't snag them from you early. :-)
Have a great week
Timi

Sheena Richmond said...

Yes...for SURE decorating is more fun than cleaning! I love your new mirror and the way you displayed in on your mantle....beautiful!

Mikal said...

Oh, why can't I find treasures like that???? Especially those wonderful buttons!

Enjoy,

Mikal

barbara said...

What a great bunch of buttons! That's a really pretty mantel, too.

Florence said...

I love the pink buttons, boy did you score. The dress form is way cool too!!! Florence

trash talk said...

Those button are wonderful...I wouldn't want to give them up. It's like looking at ice cream at Baskin's & Robbins!
Your "gal" looks ready to go to the Junk Gypsy Prom.
Debbie

Amy'svintagecottage said...

Hi Lisa, I love that you post your fun finds for us all to see! Congrats on the dressform, I'm always thrilled when I find one for a good deal!
xoxo
Amy
www.todayscountrystore.typepad.com

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

Button, button who's got the button? You do! How fun!

Lori said...

Lisa, that is quite the haul you found there...i love the crochet hangers...and the wee sweet dolly!!!

Zita - Mlle Magpie said...

Lisa. all those buttons and everything else you found are fantastic. We like all the same stuff. How lucky of you to find another dress form too!

Seawashed said...

Oh my...I would love to have that long peticoat. It is so dreamy. I would wear it under my long jean and white cotton skirts.

The white dress with jean jacket is also just my style.

Connie in Hartwood said...

Vintage buttons? I remember buying buttons like that new at the fabric store ... I'm not that old, am I? Great finds. Love the dress form.
... Connnie

Anonymous said...

I understand completely, I always pick redecorating instead of cleaning. Lori @ here's a hand

Charlene said...

I LOVE IT ALL!!!!!!!!! The mani is toooooo die for! I want another one too! Charlene

Tammy/Yesterday's Cottage said...

What a great haul! I couldn't have parted with that mirror either - it looks fabulous in your home! Can't wait to hear what name you decide on for your great new manni. Mine is named Victoria. I'm gonna have to do me a post highlighting her soon!
Happy Valentine's Day!

Rochelle said...

Wow! You sure did hit the mother load of vintage buttons! L*O*V*E* them!

Unknown said...

What a bunch of great finds. I love all of the buttons!!!

Susan said...

What great finds!! I love the pink and orange buttons!! I keep looking for buttons at GoodWill but so far no luck. But you never go looking for something at Goodwill........its the luck of the draw.

Diane Fay (littlealma) said...

O-o-o-h - I love all your finds, and especially the last buttons you have showing here. You aren't wanting to sell them by any chance, are you? They are the silver spangley ones, with goldish color on the edge. I have some just like that, probably one or two, from my mom, and would love to have more so I could do something with them, altho not sure what yet! But would you let me know if you would be willing to sell them please?

I also LOVE your quilt on the next days blog too! Lots of wonderful things you have!

Hugs from Michigan - Diane

white o'morn cottage said...

OH boy, I have serious button envy going on! Lovely post. Thanks - it sure cheered me up. Love your finds.

Theory said...

Your style and work is absolutly beautiful. Please enter me in your giveaway. I am now a follower too. Have a great day, Hugs Theory

Theory said...

Please enter me in your giveway. Your style and work are beautiful and I am now a follower too. Hugs Theory