Sunday, August 17, 2008

Just stuff

I can't believe it is already the middle of August. This summer has definitely been busy, but I'm not ready for it to be over just yet. Isabel reminded me that school is starting in just two weeks. I'm so not ready. I did take my number one boy school supplies and clothes shopping last week, so at least that is a little bit of a start, but I haven't done anything yet with my girl.

BTW, she had a wonderful time at camp and when I picked her up yesterday she gave me a tour of the whole camp which was just awesome. She also filled me in on all the fun things they did. Usually she is not so chatty so I was lovin it! Anyway, I'm glad to have her back home.

Did the garage sale thing on Friday and didn't find much. Here is a picture of the few things I did find.

Cute pink food cover thingy, (I sold a similar white one at Expo) cute wallpaper hat box, two glass flower frogs, box of vintage lace two adorable vintage hats, two crocheted runners (not pictured) and a chalk board (also not pictured). I pick up chalkboards whenever I find them for a good price as that is something I seem to always sell.

One sale was in a neighboring town and was advertised as a Barn Sale with antiques. Well, when I got there I was amazed to find a really cool old farm style house with outbuildings on a very large lot in an older neighborhood. I so wanted to whip out my camera and get some pictures and I would have asked if I could if there was anything at the sale I wanted to buy. Mostly clothes and toys and miscellaneous garage sale junk. I might have to sneak back there sometime and try to get some pics as I am not kidding, this was one cool house.

Last week in the scorching heat I ventured over to the "Street of Dreams" with my good friend Kate. It was industry night so anyone involved with building or decorating the homes was invited. We saw the most gorgeous homes with the most fabulous views you can imagine. Of course they were all decorated with new stuff and since I like the old, none were what you would call my style, but I could definitely appreciate all they had to offer. One had an actual massage room, steam room, sauna, indoor pool and hot tub, movie theater room, wine cellar and separate kitchen all on the lower level. I think it was about 11,000 square feet or something. Anyway, I did have my camera, but was just too overwhelmed to take any pictures. If you live in the Portland area, I definitely recommend you going to this.

I didn't get a lot done last week as I have really been trying to rest my foot. As I mentioned on a previous post, I have been having a lot of pain in the heal of my right foot. A trip to the doctor a few weeks ago revealed that I have Plantar Facaitis. Fun, right? So I have been doing my exercises and icing it quite a bit. I did manage to get one little tiny project done though.

Here it is. The little stool I bought last week with its brand new seat cover. Much better I think. This cutie will be going with me to the Oregon City Antique Fair next Sunday. Isabel and I got a double booth this year and will be next to Joy, so it should be a lot of fun. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and it will not be too hot or even worse, rain.


A couple days ago, my hubby talked me into going blackberry picking with him. I didn't really want to go as it has been so hot here, but I'm glad I did as I was able to make this.

My friend Patty gave me this cobber recipe a few years ago and I love it. It is super easy and can be adapted to make a larger cobbler very easily. I doubled this recipe because I like lots of topping.

Blackberry Cobbler

5 c. blackberries
1 c. flour
1 c. sugar
1/2 t. salt
1 egg
1/4 c. butter, melted
cinnamon
brown sugar

Grease bottom of square or small rectangle baking dish and add blackberries. Spinkle with lemon juice if desired. In a small bowl mix flour, sugar and salt. Add egg to mixture and mix well. Pour mixture on top of berries covering evenly. Drizzle with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon and brown sugar. Bake at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.

Well, that's it for me today. Will probably do some fun housework and maybe a little back to school shopping today. Next week will be spent getting ready for the Oregon City Show. If you are in the area, this is always a fun show. Not too big, not too small, just right! I'd love to meet you there so make sure to stop by our booth to say hi if you are coming.

Have a fun week and enjoy what's left of summer!



9 comments:

Vintage Linen Treasures said...

Hi Lisa,
I'm so glad Isabel had so much fun at camp. It's so rewarding to see our little ones growing up in the right way. Love your garage sales finds. Especially that hat box!
Patricia :o)

ShabbyInTheCity said...

I went to camp with my kids and it was awesome too! Worshipping in church afterward was kind of a let down.
I didn't pick blackberries when I could have WAAAHHH!
Nice finds you have there :)

Timi said...

Thank you for the recipe. If it ever cools off enough here to go outside I might have to pick some berries so I can whip that up! The Hubs would think he died and went to heaven.
Great finds! I wish I could come to your Oregon City sale next weekend. I'm doing my first show next weekend! You have inspired me.
I too have a bad case of Plantar Facaitis along with 7 little (big ass) bone spurs. I'm sure your doctor told you this but when my feet and heels are really hurting me and I can barley walk, I find that if I wear shoes with backs (my Dansko clogs, or tennis shoes) for even just a day it will calm down and the pain goes away. It's all the cute thongs, and mules I own that make my heels hurt so bad.
Ok, thats all the notsomedical advice I have for you today.
Have a wonderful Monday!
Timi

Martha, Vintage Trifles said...

Hi Lisa, I feel the same way about summer - it just flew by! Maybe my hubby and I can get to Oregon City on Sunday. I've never attended that event. Hey, take care of your foot and hope we can get together soon. xoxo, Martha

Kathy said...

Hi Lisa,Fun finds as usual.Glad your gal got home and had a fun time.The cobbler looks scrumptious!I'll be at the Monticello Thursday,maybe I'll run into you.Have a wonderful week!! Kathy

Miss Gracie's House said...

I can't believe it's school time again-that cobbler looks yummy...may have to try that!
Great finds, as usual! that chair is really cute! I have one that I need to get busy on...
Have a great week!
Rene'

Elizabeth said...

I have got to stop reading blogs from you talented Oregon gals! If there was any way to get there, that little stool would SO be going home with me!

joyh82 said...

The blackberry cobbler sounds very good to me. I love the little seat you found too.

Anonymous said...

HI Lisa! My kids went to TCBC for many years! Much fun there :) Didn't you just want to stay all week? I always drove up during the week and left huge package of fun and goodies for their cabin :) Pavla