Monday, December 17, 2007

My Weekend

A fun and busy weekend started out on Friday doing a little thrifting before I met up with Joy and Isabel. I stopped at my usual Goodwill where I found a few little things. Rhinestone bracelet, two old small canning jars, metal shelf thingy. Then off to VV where I found a few more little items. Wire card holder rack thingy, pink plastic organizer thingy, magazine rack thingy, and this:

My guess is that it is some kind of vintage baby seat. Very grungy looking so it will need a good cleaning, but that will be it. Not sure anyone will want to buy it, but I thought it was kind of cute.

Met up with Isabel and we drove to Aurora to meet with Joy at an antique mall there.

My one and only purchase there was this bread box. I was thrilled to find it, but even more thrilled about the price. Marked down to $15.00. Plus that dealer was having a 20% off sale so I got it for $12.00. I just adore the hand painted roses. Something I wish I could do. It just made my day.


















After the antique mall we decided it was time for a bite to eat so Joy took us to this deli she knew about nearby. The weird thing was all of these sandwich toothpicks stuck in the ceiling. We asked how they got there and was told they were blown up there with straws. First I had a go at it and couldn't do it.

Then Joy tried it and no luck. Isabel gave it a try and on her second attempt, success! Wish I got a picture of her or the ladies at the next table looking at us like we were crazy.













After lunch we headed over to a little thrift shop where I got two things.

This cute little crocheted hanger and a little vintage style clock. Joy got a few items and Isabel managed to fill up a shopping cart with goodies. Unfortunately I had to head home to pick up my son at school but it was a fun time.



Saturday morning was spent at my daughters basketball game. I actually took pictures this time, but they didn't turn out so great. Every time she was in shooting distance and did something good, I would be too busy watching to take a picture. After that I promised that I would take my basketballer shopping for some clothes. She had some report card money to spend and so she did just that. I was geared up for a miserable time arguing over what was "appropriate" attire for a 14 year old, but actually she managed to pick out some nice things. I even convinced her to try on a dress. She didn't buy it though.

I previously had promised to show you a couple projects I have been working on, so here they are.

Made this little diorama for my hubby for Christmas. He never reads my blog, so I don't have to worry about him seeing it. I love how it turned out. The image of the trees and snow was from a picture he took while hunting. The thing that really makes me laugh is the fact that the picture is of him and his dad hunting and he is drinking a cup of coffee and the deer is just standing in front of him posing. I added the little tree, some glitter, a little vintage tinsel and some batting for snow on the ground. I know it will give my sweetie a chuckle. He has a hunting/fishing themed office, so it will be perfect in there.
Click on picture for a better view.






Here are three little vintage tin Christmas collages I made. I love the chippiness of the tin with the vintage Christmas images. I still need to add a wire hanger on the back, but then I will be done. What do ya think? Cute? Weird? I would love the feedback.


These two are my favorites of the three. You can't tell from the picture, but they are kind of little. Only 6 inches square. I have a few more tins left so I might try making some more with pink roses this time.



And finally, my completed "home" banner. I think it turned out pretty cute. My ribbon is a little twisted, just noticed that. Fun to put together and so easy.
I had to work at my lunch lady job today. So much fun, but I'm pooped. Hey, maybe I can get a wee nap before the kids come home from school.
Thanks for visiting today. By the way, I love to get comments and would love to hear from you. Even if you just say hi, it will make my day~!

15 comments:

Jessrose21 said...

I think your Christmas tins are really cute! Great idea. I also love your banner and really want to make one myself, but I need to do Christmas cards first. rats.

~Becca~Bluebird Rose said...

Your banner turned out beautifully, and your collages too! :)

Flea Market Queen said...

I love the tin collages!
They are so pretty...
I hope you got my email? I emailed saturday through your blog...but I also emailed you again today!
Have a great week...
Happy Holidays,
Priscilla

Michelle said...

I love everything! I think the gift for your husband is precious and a true gift of love. I really like those tins ~ are you selling them?

Michelle

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

I love it all. Merry Christmas

Alicia ~ Time Worn Style said...

Hope no one inhaled one of those toothpicks by mistake!! I really love the banner you made. You have been very busy making lovely things.
Alicia ~ time worn style

Natasha Burns said...

How funny about those toothpicks!
Love the diorama, I really like your humour, it made me chuckle! And the tin collages, yep, DEFINITELY cute, love those! The Home banner is beautiful too! You have been busy!!

Miss Gracie's House said...

I LOVE the tin collages~especially the one with the children. Your banner turned out great, too! Good job on finishing it:)
Rene'

Seeb said...

I always enjoy your rose project;)
come and visit the roses on my cans.

Sandi McBride said...

I love the bread box, too. Lucky girl! The diarama will be a hit with hubby. And your banner is great! You need to caption Joy's picture with "Drink Me" from Alice in Wonderland" lol

Sandy said...

Love your sweet little tin collage pieces, the one with the children is my favorite. Your bannner is adorable! Great job on all.
Merry Christmas,
Miss Sandy

crazyhaberdasher said...

Hi! I have been enjoying your blog for quite a while - I love all of your thrifty finds and all of the clever crafty things you do!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lis! I am so glad you keep this blog! I feel more connected to you. . . since I haven't seen you in FOREVER. Eric will Love his gift! That is so clever, I love it! All your projects are adorable. . . Wish I had time to go thrift shopping. . I used to love garage sales. ..but never did anything with my treasure finds! SO. . .now more garage sales for me. I love hearing about your days and what your kids are up to :) Have a wonderful Christmas! Loves and Hugs, Pavla

Betty said...

So many wonderful things on this post! I love the bread box you found! Those three pictures you made and the deer diorama are so wonderful. The Home banner is my favorite though. I love the rose paper with the book pages. I think I might have to try to make one for my house. Thanks for the inspiration!

Sandi McBride said...

My Aunt was looking at your baby seat...she thinks it was to fit on a wagon seat for an infant. Hurry back with more goodies!
hugs
Sandi