Monday, April 19, 2010

Dreaming of Paris-Part V

“Sunny and some clouds today. Woke and had a wonderful breakfast at a cafe down the street (Rue Cler) next to the post office.  Fried egg, croissant, ham and tea.  Tried to find a bus to Versailles. There was a problem with the trains and we ended up taking the Metro to Montparnasse and transferred to a train to Versailles.  Kind of stressful due to language barrier and lack of knowledge of transportation system.

Finally arrived at the Versailles stop and we then followed the crowds through a little town to the Palace.  Very impressive upon first site.

IMAG0065

 IMAG0067

Did the tour of the Palace.  Very beautiful art, furnishings, etc.  Gardens were fabulous.

IMAG0068

Got a golf cart to tour the gardens which were huge.  IMAG0070

IMAG0071 IMAG0074

Ate lunch at a cafe near Versailles.  Mac & Cheese for me, Salad Niscious (sp?) for Keith.  Managed to catch the train back to Paris with no problems.

Back at the hotel we rested and cleaned up and headed out to visit this famous cemetery, Pere Lachaise. Took our favorite bus #69 and ate dinner at a little cafe at Gambetta.  Both of us had Panini, but missed going into the cemetery as it was closed for the day.  Keith will go back on Friday when I am spending the day with Isabel.

Found out that the buses were no longer running so we attempted to take the metro which was again a little stressful, but eventually made it back to the hotel.”

If you are fairly new to my blog, the above is an actual account of my trip to Paris with my Dad a few years ago.  If you are interested, and have some time to kill, you can read more about my trip here, here, here and here.

I must have been really tired when I wrote in my journal the day we went to Versailles as I didn’t give much in the way of details, but I do remember it being a really fun day overall with the exception of transportation stress.  Having just seen the movie “Marie Antoinette” a couple days before made the visit to Versailles even more special.

After doing this post, I realize that I didn’t take very many pictures.  Remember, this trip was taken in my pre-blog life. 

My good friend, Kimberly is in France right now.  Not sure when she is coming home as all flights have been cancelled.  I wish I was stuck over there with her as I’m sure we could come up with some trouble to get into.

Busy week ahead.  My number 1 girl is headed out tomorrow for the week to be a counselor at Outdoor School.  We just found out she was selected late last week, and then as we were gone over the weekend, we haven’t had a lot of time to get her ready. So, as usual, we will be scrambling around last minute packing.  Unfortunately rain is in the forecast all week so we will see how that goes.  I’m just glad that she is stepping out of her comfort zone to try new things.  She had such an incredible time as a 6th grader at Outdoor School, she is really looking forward to experiencing it again as a counselor this time.

Hope to be back soon with some completed projects. Farm Chick is just around the corner and I have a lot to do to get ready. Happy Monday!

8 comments:

Dandelion and Daisy said...

I've enjoyed living vicariously through you on "our trip" to Paris.
Maybe, I'll see you Saturday at Tarte, she has a French theme going this sale!

Florence said...

How lucky you are to have been to France, I only keep dreaming, who knows maybe someday. Florence

Maison Douce said...

Salade Niçoise, my dear.... Can't wait to see the next post!!!
Isabel

julie - eab designs said...

We took our girls to France a few years ago and we also visited Versailles. Your pictures brought back fun memories!

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

Beautiful photos, Lisa! I can only imagine the depth of the beauty having visited in person.

Tell your daughter to have fun! That was something I always wanted to do, too.

((hugs))
Becky

Herbgirl said...

Oh Versailles!!!!! I got to go last summer and it was absolutley breath-taking. Our most stressful part of being in Paris was also the Metro system....we decided it was taking to long to so we eventually switched to taxis. Even though they cost a little more, we got to see so much more of Paris being above ground and not having to wait for the trains.
Hugs N Herbal Blessings, Mandyvat

Alicia ~ time worn style said...

Those gardens are amazing, I'd imagine you would need a golf cart to get around them!!
alicia

Renee Ford said...

Just found your blog last evening! I listed you under my Favorites before I got through your recent posts. What a beautiful blog! Your style and creativity puts my brain into full gear! Thank you for sharing with us in blogland.

Renee