Thursday, August 7, 2008

Mid Week Miscellaneous Stuff

As I mentioned in my last post, it was a very busy weekend. Sunday morning I took my dear MIL to the Lake Oswego Antique Fair. The show was pretty small. Smaller than last year. Isabel and Joy were selling, and I saw Sue and these sweet boys. I was on a mission to find some cheap old tea spoons (I'll explain why later) and I did find some at Joy's booth and at another for .25 and .50 each. I also found a couple shabby chic pillow shams, a floral basket to add to my collection and an unusual doll which I have already taken to Monticello. Didn't get pics of any of it, so sorry.

Anyway, my in-laws left on Monday morning and I couldn't tell you what I did that day. Just a lot of laziness, I'm sure. Tuesday morning I dragged the kids to Monticello to drop off some stuff and pick up our check for the month. It was so fun running into Debbie and Kathy. Kathy, you may remember, won my blog anniversary vintage wallpaper giveaway. After Monticello I took the kids out for lunch and to the mall to walk around a bit. We have had a busy summer what with going to Maui, camping, the kids to California, but ever since they got back there has been a lot a loafing around on the computer, in front of the tv, so it was good that I got them out of the house for a bit.

Yesterday I was a hankerin for a little bit of thriftin so off I went to the shops closest to my house and am I ever glad I did. I didn't find a lot, but I'm thrilled with what I got.

First stop was the Goodwill where I found this awesome vanity. It needs a little work, but it has great detail on the wood, original wood casters and gorgeous original hardware all there and accounted for. The price was awesome too.



Next stop was at Value Village where I found these four chairs for a song. I also got an incredible ornate old picture frame, vintage roses tins and a nice heavy Bates chenille spread in great condition. I have been looking for some dining room chairs and with a little paint and some barkcloth seat covers, I think these will be great!

A stop at the Salvation Army thrift store turned up nothing. I had to hustle on home as I had listed that headboard I showed on my last post on craigslist and I had someone coming to look at it. It sold! Yeah! Later in the day I also sold a white drop leaf table to one of Isabel's old neighbors. She is going to use it as a desk in her new place.

Awhile back I spotted the cutest thing on Laurie's blog. Let me back up here. I first met Laurie at Monticello where I overheard some people calling her a celebrity. Turns out she and her floral toleware collection were featured in Better Homes and Gardens. We started talking about our collections (I have a ton of tole trays, all hand painted, all featuring pink roses, of course). Her trays are the transfer printed kind. Anyway, I ran into Laurie at Farm Chicks and found out she had a blog. The funny thing is that I had visited her blog and didn't even know it was hers until I read her post about Farm Chicks. Anyway, she had the cutest little bride and groom that she made so I asked her if she had any more.

She did and here is the lateest in my collection. I love it because I know it is hand made by Laurie. Isn't it adorable? I had a really hard time getting a good picture because of the glare on the glass. Thanks so much Laurie. It's awesome.

On another random note, the other day I opened my front door to find a shopping cart (the kind I make liners for) sitting on my front porch with some cute pink pom pom fringe hanging on it and a note from my friend Mitzi. Mitzi, who doesn't have a blog, is a fabulous mosaic artist and has a booth at the famous Stars Antique Mall. I have mentioned her before. Well, she had found the cart for really cheap and knew I could use it. When I called to thank her she told me that she had a couple little things to give me that she found in her thrifting adventures and if I wanted to stop by she would give them to me. Well, yeah. This is what she so sweetly found for me. She said she saw them and thought of me and couldn't just leave them there. Isn't this the most gorgeous mug? And, in my opinion, you can never have too many rhinestone buckles. A few days later another shopping cart appeared on my front porch. What the... Another call to Mitzi revealed that yes, she is the one that left it. Wow, do I have the best friends or what?

And now, for why I was looking for tea spoons. I had this little lamp which I got in Silverton recently and a little wire lampshade frame so I decided to put the two together and I copied Isabel's idea for a lamp she made and sold at Farm Chicks.

Here is my latest creation. It felt so good to work on a project again. It feels like it has been ages since I worked on anything and this came together so quickly.

Heading over to Joy's today to help her get ready for her show she is doing up in Yakima this weekend. Dragging the kids along too. Should be a nice day for a drive out to the country.

Have a great Thursday!

16 comments:

Connie said...

Well, isn't that lamp adorable, sweetpea?!?!?! I think you've definitely got a "winner" there. We just did a small remodel of a wall and I'm "redecorating" and still have MY 2 wedding cake toppers and bouquet (without the flowers) so I'm putting them on the sofa table in a new location. I'll be doing the post for that in a few days if you want to take a look. Now, I've been married for 47+ years so I'd call them vintage, wouldn't you, my rosey chick?!?!?! Hah........
Smoochies,
Connie

Anonymous said...

You are so creative, i love reading yours and Auntie Joy's blog. You two always have good ideas for projects. The lamp is adorable! what is her blog? Have a great day

Anonymous said...

Lisa,
Thanks so much for the sweet things you said about me. Am glad you love the wedding topper - the picture is great and I know it has gone to a good home. Funny you mentioned Mitzi on your blog as I met her at an estate sale awhile ago and then again at Stars. I agree she is a very nice gal (and does amazing mosaic stuff). Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa , Cute lampshade - now I see why you were lookin' at those spoons. So how do you do a name and have it as a link? I wound up with your whole blog address on my post - I am so new! Are you going to Molly Mo's ? Sue

Popsicles & Lollipops said...

Darling lamp! Love it! It's amazing how well utilitarian spoons and forks lend themselves so nicely to decor! My favorite apron rack is a collection of random bent spoons on a chippy old piece of wood that I put together.

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Hi Lisa,
Great finds. I went to a couple of garage sales today and found just a few little things. It will be fun to see the after pics of your finds. Have fun.
Warmly,Deb

Ele at abitofpinkheaven said...

Cute lamp!!!

Sarah said...

Lovin' the vanity. Can't wait to see what you do with it!
Sarah
Vintage Lily
http://vintagelily.typepad.com/my_weblog/

Unknown said...

Adorble and creative lamp! Love reading your blog. :) Love hearing about all of your finds and good fortunes (mostly in the way of friendship).

Have a great weekend!

Angie

Vintage Linen Treasures said...

What a great idea for that lamp shade. It would be perfect for any cottage kitchen, buffet, or tea party! You made some awesome finds, too. Love the frame and the vanity.
Patricia :o)

Anonymous said...

Wow ! this is so cool I am glad I am not only wacky artist!

Michele said...

Lisa...I love the lamp and I can't wait to see what you'll do with the vanity!

Hugz,
Michele

Jeanette said...

I absolutely love that lamp shade. What a fun idea, now I am going to have to dig through the silverware next time I head for the thrift shop!

Tracy said...

Great finds! I have such a hard time finding good vintage finds at the garage sales down here! That would be so fun if we could meet up when you came to Temecula to visit your dad. Just let me know when you do and we can set it up!

Tammy Gilley said...

Oh my NERVES, that lamp is DARLING! I want to make one for the island in my kitchen!! :) And, I love that Mitzi left goodies for you on your stoop, like you do for me! Fun!!

Anonymous said...

The lamp is to die for!