Saturday, May 3, 2008

Free is a Very Good Price

This morning on my way to my daughter's soccer game I spied something in the front yard at a neighboring house. Stop, put the car in reverse and what do I see? A really cool old metal bed with a sign taped to it that said, "Free Antique Bed." Okay, I said as I jumped out of the car and quickly threw the whole thing in my car before the owners had time to come out and change their minds.

I was so excited! I admit that I get a lot of good deals on things, but rarely do I get something, especially something this good, for free. Did I mention that I'm a lucky girl ? So, I know you are curious about this bed now that I have built it up to be really great. So, here it is!

As you can see, it is a full sized metal bed painted gold with black stuff over that to make it look antiquey I guess. At first I didn't really like the finish, but it is kind of growing on me and has that "old world" look to it. Not really my style, but one I can appreciate and admire. I have seen a lot of metal beds before, but never one exactly like this one. I think the scrolly parts are unique and kind of cool too. The fact that the original rails and wood casters are still there is something else I love about this bed.

But the thing that makes this bed really special to me, are the medallions on the mesh part of the metal. Here's a close up. Hello, roses! Not sure what I will do with this bed. The funny thing is I have another metal bed sitting in my garage that I actually paid quite a bit for thinking I would fix it up for my bed. Now, I'm not so sure. I will have to think about this one.

I also hit a couple garage sales where I found this fancy mini mannequin.

















This pottery barn lamp (looks kind of like a shabby chic space ship).

















And this cute pink roses oil cloth tote.

Tomorrow, Isabel and I are heading out early for our monthly trip to the flea market. I should be staying home to sew, clean or paint, but the temptation of finding some great bargains is just too much for me. Plus those hash browns and gravy are just calling my name.

16 comments:

Victoria - Florence and Mary said...

That bed... for free.... yes you sure have Lady Luck on your side!!

Victoria xx

Patina said...

Wow! What a great find! I love deals like that. Good luck at the flea market tomorrow!
Debbie

Alison Gibbs said...

Lisa what a fabulous bed.
Alison

Decor To Adore said...

What a gorgeous bed! You know, it would look really cute painted pink.

Pat said...

Well, the roses on that metal bed tell you something....it's so YOU. Are those little birds on the bottom part of the medallion??? If yes....well, that's so me! I doubt I would ever find anything that wonderful.....but, hey, a girl can dream - and keep trying. You enjoy! Pat at birdnestontheground

cherished*vintage said...

Oh how exciting! I love FREE. I'd be grabbing and not lookin' back too. :o) So are you free to go to Vegas? hehe
-Karoline

Karen ~ Cider Antiques said...

Wow !!! gorgeous detail on that bed. Are you going to leave it as is . . . or paint it? What a beauty ! I see a white frame with pretty pink and white bedding :)

Karen at Ciderantiques

Auntie Joy said...

I love your bed, so very fun to find it for free!! That is my kinda deal.. Have a great Monday!
JOY!

Leaon Mary said...

FREE BED? EGADS GIRL... your killing me here! Yes, you ARE a lucky girl.
Plus hashbrowns n gravy with some tiques n fleas on the side? COUNT ME IN! Hope you found more goodies...
Lea

Seeb said...

truly a great find,you are an expert :)

bee'nme said...

Free is Fabulous!! It's a real beauty - great find girl!! Love all your other not-so-free goodies too!! I have so much fun shopping virtually with you...hey, that's fabulously free for me too!!! Cool...

Have great week Lisa!

Hugs and blessings,
Becky S.

Jocerane said...

Argh! I'm actually searching for that sort of bed! Lucky you!!!

Vintage Hunter said...

Wow, what a score! That bed is fabulous!

Vintage Linen Treasures said...

Wow, I wish I could be half as lucky! It would be really great if you could take impressions of the medallions and make plaster wall hangings or something. Truly, what an amazing find!
Patricia :o)

Angela Harris said...

Wow!!! What a deal on that bed. yhou are an incredibly lucky girl! I'm calling out to the universe to send me a deal like that! Can you imagine what someone would have charged for that at an Antiques shop? Good lookin out!

Hovey Vintage said...

The bed is incredible. Just perfect for a child's room (or a big kid's too).