Friday, September 19, 2008

A Day in Portland and Some Other Stuff

Last Saturday I promised my #1 girl that I would take her shopping on the hip and happening Hawthorne Blvd. in Portland. A while back you may remember that my hubby and I took our daughter and a couple of her friends to a concert. Well, it was at the Hawthorne Theater and on our way there, we spied a lot of cool shops and vowed to come back and check them out. So that is just what we did.

Our first stop was at this place. Pretty much a junk shop with some antiques mixed in. We had a lot of ground to cover so we didn't spend a lot of time in there, but I did manage to find a cute pink satin glove box and colorful vintage tablecloth for a good price. Onward!


Our next stop was at Vintage Pink. This funky retro shop had lots of cool vintage clothing and home decor. I thought the prices were a little high on most things I was interested in such as this Lacy crinoline.

Here's my angel checking out some CD's. So cute!

We then strolled up the street checking out shops that looked interesting like this one. We really worked up an appetite with all that walking and shopping so we stopped at the cute Hawthorne Cafe for lunch. The weather was just gorgeous and it was so fun spending one on one time with my girl.

On Sunday we decided that since the weather was so nice we would take the boat out on the river. First, lunch at Joe's Crab shack, and then we tried to put the boat in at two different places on the Columbia River. Apparently everyone else had the same idea as the lines to put in were really long. Being the impatient people that we are, we left and headed toward home but hubby found a good place to put the boat in on the Willamette and we took a lovely cruise down the river into Portland. My favorite part is seeing all the neat houses along the river. It was so very relaxing. Just what I needed.

Spent the week getting ready for our "Vintage Stuff" sale that I am doing today and tomorrow with Mitzi, Karen and Isabel. I dug through the house, garage and pulled stuff out of my booth at Monticello for this sale. We did one in the spring which was very successful so I'm hoping that we will have good luck this time too. What doesn't sell is getting donated with maybe the exception of a few bigger items which I may try to sell on craigslist.


Inspired by Timi, I have been really trying hard to declutter and get rid of stuff. Yesterday I found a couple half finished little projects so I thought I would just dive right in and get them done and out of here. Here's some pictures of a few things I attacked with wallpaper.



Also, a cute little wood table that I painted.

Tuesday I decided to have a stay at home day and work on projects and cleaning. I was having a little break when the phone rang. It was Mitzi. She said that she was in her driveway vacuuming a cool rug she found at an estate sale and she thought I might be interested in it. She said she was going to take it to her booth at Stars, but that I could have first dibs on it if I wanted it. I said, "I'll be over in two minutes!" When I pulled up in front of her house and saw the rug, I couldn't believe it. It was gorgeous. I have always wanted a rug like this even begged another good friend to sell me hers if she decided to ever get rid of it. (She moved to Tuscon and took it with her.) Anyway, I bought the rug and it gave me a good excuse to rearrange the furniture which always means vacuuming. Here are some pictures of the rug and my newly arranged living room.



On Wednesday, Isabel and I decided to have a fun day out and hit the Goodwill Outlet in Portland. We spent a couple hours there and found some neat things. Isabel had a cart full too. I didn't get a picture of everything as some things went right in the wash and some things are in a pile of stuff to price for Monticello. Nothing too exciting. Some picture frames, linens, a couple nasty down pillows that I hope will clean up. After Goodwill we mosied over to visit our friend Randy at Madison Park. He has the best store on 13th Street. Everything there is just lovely as he has a incredible eye for finding the "good stuff." Next we headed over to the Stars malls and saw Karen and Mitzi, both there fluffing their spaces. After a quick lunch at Grand Central Baking, we headed home. I didn't take one picture I was just having too much fun and forgot.

Got all my stuff set up at Mitzi's yesterday so I'm all set for the sale today. Just gotta show up and sell stuff. The bad part of doing sales with others is that there is always good stuff to buy and I'm supposed to be getting rid of things. I was a naughty girl and bought a few linens and an adorable antique doll bed from Mitzi. I'll have to show it on another post, but its going over to Monticello on my next trip over.

Speaking of Monticello, I got a call from Kelly the other day saying I sold a couple bookcases. Yeah! Isabel also told me that I sold a big chair too. Yippee! Now I have room to take over some more stuff!

Also, I want to thank Sue for giving me this award. It was a couple weeks ago and I completely forgot to acknowledge it. So sorry, Sue. Thank you so much! I really appreciate it. I do!

Now that I have got you up to date with me (and completely bored you in the process) I will say goodbye. I'll be back later this weekend with some pictures of our sale and hopefully some good stories too. Until then, have a great Friday!


*note: this post was completed on Friday, but as I was having trouble uploading pictures, it didn't get posted until Saturday morning.

11 comments:

Adrienne said...

Hi Lisa -
That rug is perfect in your living room. When we bought this house there was a similar rug in the master bedroom. Wall to wall! It belonged to the former owner, an inheritance from her mother. It was absolutely gorgeous! She wanted to negotiate about taking it with her. I didn't have the heart to tell her she couldn't have something her mother had given her years before. She and her husband so kindly allowed us to choose the carpet we wanted in our bedroom and they paid to have it all installed. She took her beautiful carpet, had the edges bound and used it as a huge area rug in her new home. It don't really miss it because it was always truly hers. Thanks for sharing yours with us.

I need to get to the Goodwill Outlet, Hawthorne Avenue, Stars and check out a couple of the places you like to eat.
~Adrienne~

Leslie~The West, a Nest and You said...

Hello Lisa!

This is Leslie from Eugene. I introduced myself when my mother and I came to the Coburg Antique Faire. First, I wanted to say that I love the new rug that got..just beautiful! I am surprised a little though, that your living room is not more 'pink' as I would have guessed it to be :-) The little green table you painted is adorable too. Hmm, I wonder if it will be at Monticello? Mom and I will be making a trip to Portland and we will be stopping by the marketplace for a short visit. We will be sure to check out yours and Isabel's spot. Well, have a great week, and it was really nice to put an in person face to the blog. By the way, I am just about ready to get my blog going. I will let you know when that happens. --Leslie

Unknown said...

I am so jealous! I love shops that have goodies spilling out onto the sidewalk. Makes me want to explore. Looks like you had a full day of it. How fun!
Tammy ;D

Anonymous said...

Lisa! I LOVE it when my good stuff goes to a good home! The colors in the rug are absolutely perfecto with your current furniture, and there are enough colors as well as neutrals in it to go with future furnishings of just about any hue. Your house looks beautiful...hope to get in there and see it for myself someday!

I really had a fun couple of days sitting around and laughing with you girls this weekend, selling stuff was just a bonus. Lovin' YOU, Mitzi

Timi said...

Love the rug! I'm so proud of you finishing up some projects. I'm still on Mission Get Rid of It or Get it Organized. I'm moving right along. I just got 2 more projects done that have been hanging over my head.
Keep on girlfriend!
Timi

Heather said...

wow what a great trip! looks like you found tons of awesome treasures, and that rug is perfect!

Journal Swag said...

Looks like you're having lots of fun and I love your wallpapered and painted things. You had a very productive day.

Hugs,
Sheila

Miss Gracie's House said...

I just love those old wool rugs-I've had several over the years. They wear forever and don't show the dirt!! I've looked at the reproduction ones and they just can NOT compare in color and pattern. You're gonna love it!

Those shops look fun-we'll have to check out that area next time we're over there.
Rene'

Maison Douce said...

Thank you, Lisa, for the "gift" on my front porch, you are such a sweet friend!! I'll call you tomorrow!

Britt- Sparkled Vintage Charm said...

ooh!! sounds like you had tons of fun in Portland!! I adore going there! I will have to check out the places you mentioned!! Have a wonderful day!! hugs! Britt :-)

High Desert Diva said...

Hi Lisa,

Nice to finally meet you too!

Been browsing through your blog. I spent the night at my mom's last night. She lives really close to Hawthorne so I know these shops well!

Have you ever shopped on Belmont? Went to a really cute shop called Noun on Friday. www.shopnoun.com
Think you'd like it!